Thursday, April 7, 2011

FUDGE

Why don't more people play FUDGE? I'm not talking about FATE (which I actually dislike quite a bit but I do like Diaspora; I think this proves that logic doesn't apply to brain chemistry), but the original game that Steffan O'Sullivan cranked out back in the early 90s. The die-rolling mechanic is simple, it distills the essential parts of attributes into modifiers, uses words to describe power levels, and is completely open-ended as a system. If a DM wants to add some new mechanic, it is trivial to do so. And required, really. I've heard that FUDGE is really nothing more than a toolkit, not a complete game. That's probably true in the same sense that the original D&D (why do people call it 0ed? That term just bugs the shit out of me) is nothing more than a toolkit. Is that such a bad thing?

Call FUDGE whatever you want, to me it's a great RPG that has often been overlooked in its original form by most people. There have been successful implementations of FUDGE, but for whatever reason the game itself doesn't get that much street cred. And what a shame it is. As far as free RPGs go, it's probably the best. It was written by a professional game designer over a period of several year, with tons of input from other qualified people. And it's free. I already said that, but I'll say it again: free. You can download the 1995 rules for free and print them out. I own the 10th Anniversary book, and it's great. But really, all it does it collate FUDGE and a ton of other resources based on FUDGE into one handy reference. You don't need it.

The best use of FUDGE is by far 5-Point FUDGE (also free), which makes it insanely easy to create gritty fantasy characters. Or cinematic characters if you give the players enough Gifts. You can also get some FUDGE Dice (these are the coolest looking ones I've found) and never have to refer to a table ever again when you're playing. Seriously. I mean, I like tables...I played Star Fleet Battles every weekend when I was in high school (wow, if that doesn't sound nerdy I don't know what does; in my defense, I also played sports every day after school). But not having to look at a table every time you roll the dice, that's pretty solid.

When I Googled for FUDGE to find a picture, this came up: a recipe for Kraft's Fantasy Fudge. Yes, kids, the Internet wants you to eat this. When it becomes self-aware and renames itself Skynet pretty soon, you don't want to have to tell it you decided against making this stuff.

  • 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 2/3 cup evaporated milk
  • 1 12-oz. package semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1 7-oz. jar Kraft Marshmallow creme
  • 1 cup chopped nuts
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

  • Combine sugar, margarine and milk in a 2-1/2 quart saucepan; bring to full rolling boil, stirring constantly. Continue boiling 5 minutes over medium heat, stirring. Remove from heat, stir in chocolate till melted. Add marshmallow creme, nuts & vanilla beat till blended. Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Let cool and cut into 1-inch squares.

2 comments:

  1. There's a great magic system that goes with the 5 point fudge character generation system. http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/yamsrev2a.pdf Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A picture of fudge, a formula and gaming. This blog post has got it all.

    ReplyDelete