Tuesday, April 26, 2011

V8 Interceptor



I suppose this is just a cheapass way to discuss post-apocalyptic media, specifically Mad Max. When I was a kid, I must have watched The Road Warrior and Mad Max fifty times apiece one summer. Like most young boys growing up in Texas, I already had a growing interest in fast cars, guns and motorcycles. Smokey and the Bandit sparked a desire to be a long haul trucker, but it was Max who made me want to drive the rig through a barren wasteland, fighting off hordes of bikers. As I got older, I began to realize that the "pockyclipse" wasn't getting here anytime soon, so aspirations for running a biker gang of my own never came to fruition. I did, however, get proficient shooting shotguns, fixing cars and riding bikes. I'm a fair diesel mechanic now, and could probably patch together a truck if I had to. Welding really isn't a strong suit, but I could get by in a pinch. For the better part of two years, I thought almost daily about getting some solid-core tires for my Suburban "just in case". Bolting on steel plates was always in the back of my mind. The real problem here is how glamorized things are in the movies. How much would it suck to be in a world like that? I saw The Road last year, and I can safely say I have no desire to be in that situation. Further, that situation is a lot closer to reality than driving cool cars and getting into shoot-outs. Scrounging for food would be a way of life, not mere annoyance.

Yesterday I got a peek inside a state-of-the-art data center. Lots of computers and cooling systems, battery backups, generators...all that sort of shit. A normal person might walk through such a facility and think, wow, there sure are a lot of computers here. After we passed through the third security check point (complete with retinal scanner) I started looking over my shoulder for terminators. At one point, I asked where the liquid nitrogen was, and started to feel naked without my gun. Better safe than sorry, right?

I wonder what would be better...Mad Max apocalypse, Terminator apocalypse or Zombie apocalypse. In the latter two cases, there is all sorts of crazy shit trying to kill you, but at least you have some idea who the enemy is. In the former case, EVERYONE is trying to kill you, but at least they gotta sleep and eat. It's a difficult question to answer, but I'm going to go with the Australian dystopian future because I already have a motorcycle, leathers and a shotgun.

1 comment: