Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Avengers is pretty good

Saw it at 11:30AM yesterday, then got drunk and saw it again at 10PM. Probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen, regardless of whatever this stupid review says. The best part is that reviewer has obviously never read a fucking comic in his life...seriously, the criticisms are idiotic and the whole thing makes me think he's a bitter, delusional film school dropout. I mean, the Hulk wasn't contemplating his raison d'ĂȘtre when smashing the fuck out of Chitauri invaders; surely this needs to be addressed! I'll probably see it again in non-3D next week sometime. One of my buddies commented that the 3D made it a bit hard to follow all the action, but it didn't bother me. When I saw Thor in 3D then normally on Blu-ray, there wasn't enough of a difference to matter, but you never know.

I'll rate it an A and hope the new Batman movie has comparable quality. Speaking of superhero movies, the Spiderman reboot looks terrible from what I can tell after seeing the trailer. Hopefully Marvel gets that property back soon.

Anyway, somewhat of a spoiler: Thanos. I'm sure you knew this already, but it was cool.

Some random stuff I liked:

  • Hawkeye was made out to be a legit badass. That's good because I always thought he was a pretty lame hero.
  • All the female characters were hot. Hey, it's a comic book.
  • Hulk was done pretty well.
  • Good acting throughout, to be honest. Loki was great, Nick Fury was convincing.
  • Maria Hill pulled off, which I thought would be difficult.

Stuff I didn't like:

  • Not enough Cap scenes...but maybe I'm just a fanboy.
  • NO NAMOR! Not even a reference or cameo. That kinda sucked. No Pym or Wasp, either, but honestly I don't care nearly as much. Still, at least a name drop would have been cool. Noticeable lack of Vision as well.
  • Black Widow replaced Mockingbird's role as Hawkeye's love interest. Whatever.
  • Thor's role in the final battle wasn't nearly as important as it should have been.
Overall, excellent movie. Which is surprising as hell, but I'm pretty happy about it.

I almost forgot: MCA died of cancer. The first album I ever bought was License to Ill; I was 12 years old and my mom took my brother and I to Target to get it on vinyl. We must have listened to that thing a thousand times...RIP, Adam Yauch.

1 comment:

  1. While I don't think it's the best superhero movie ever (to my mind, that would the film be fully intelligible and enjoyable to non-comic readers--this one isn't unless they've seen at least 3 other films) but it's pretty damn good.

    The portrayal of Hawkeye, Black Widow, and to an extent their relationship comes from the Ultimate Comics version of those characters, though Hawkeye got his start (as an Iron Man villian) as the lover of Black Widow.

    I'm with sort of with you on the Spider-Man trailer. I think the Raimi-Maguire version is going to prove superior.

    ReplyDelete